On June 12th, the CARW NextGen class continued with a panel of General Contractors. Big thanks to Kevin White: Berghammer Construction Corporation, Dave Schwartz: Innovative Construction Solutions, Inc., and Erik Lindstrom: Gilbane Building Company for sitting on our panel. Moderator Ben Anderson with Colliers International did a great job leading lively discussions with the group. The panelists and NextGenR’s discussed everything from the aging workforce and communication with general contractors to cost-effective ways to meet clients’ needs and expectations.
- Find a mentor who has a list of lessons learned
- Stay humble, and treat people fairly
- Build your network, and don’t take it for granted – check in with them!
- Don’t ever stop being willing to learn – about yourself, others and how you do what you do
- Don’t settle for “good enough”
- Never stop caring about other people
- Know what you’re good at
- Take a step back and enjoy where you’re at
- Have passions outside of work
- Cannon balls from the Civil War (found in Pittsburgh)
- Old oil refinery in Montana