CARW NextGenners heard from three economic development professionals on Tuesday, August 8th. Thanks to Mary Perry (WEDA), Rebecca Gries (Milwaukee 7), and Vanessa Koster (City of Milwaukee, Department of Development). The discussion was moderated by our NextGen alum, Kyle Fink, CCIM, and held at the Tannery. The panelists discussed economic development on a state, regional, and local level while highlighting successes and challenges that they were faced with in their careers.
Special thanks to Founders 3 for their sponsorship and for hosting NextGen at the Tannery!
Check out the Class of 2023 – HERE
Some of the best takeaways included:
- Educate and gain trust
- Build relationships and be careful not to burn bridges
- Cutting edge has changed the way some deals are done(site selection, mapping, etc.)
- Engage when you are involving multiple counties and cities and you need specs
- Understand who the major player and stakeholders are in a deal
- Find the ‘winners’ they are the fountain of information and knowledge; pick their brains and find out how you can be successful.
- Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.
Learn more about the NextGen program – HERE.