Thank you to Eric Eisenmann, Partner and Chair of Labor & Employment Group at Husch Blackwell, LLP for putting together an informative webinar on the rapidly changing scope of COVID-19. Here is a quick recap as well as the link to view the webinar in its entirety. To view the webinar, click HERE!
Challenges companies are facing as a result of COVID – 19
Employment Law Issues
- Employee Travel and Testing
- If you are an employer or work for an employer, can we impose a travel restriction on employees? YES
- Can we issue tests on employees? YES
- What to do with a positive test? Think about what your plan would be in this situation. There will still be confidentiality concerns, so be careful of exposing that person. You may have an obligation to tell your employees that there was a positive test.
- Compensation and PTO issues – You do not have an obligation to pay employees
- Are tenants excused from operating and paying rent under a lease?
It depends. Review the language of the clause and check to see if the language in the lease gives examples of things that qualify as a “force majeure”.
Public Relations Issues
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act (Applies to employers with 50-500 employees)
- The Emergency Paid Sick Leave Act
- Emergency Family and Medical Leave Expansion Act